Nurlan is a Partner heading the contentious tax team and is an expert in tax dispute resolution. He specializes in complex tax and other corporate disputes and has led many high-profile cases. Nurlan provides advice in relation to illegal tax charges, hostile takeovers, civil or administrative liability, etc. and together with the tax authorities and civil associations he regularly works on the improvement of tax and customs legislation.
Nurlan’s recent representative experience includes:
- The Largest telecommunications company in Kazakhstan - challenging the results of the tax audit for more than USD 3 million (deductions, certificates of residence, taxation of the exchange difference, interest taxation under the convention for the avoidance of double taxation, royalties for the use of copyright in computer programs and software, VAT turnover from the sale of land transactions, deals with false business).
- A mobile operator - challenging the exclusion of VAT set-off for non-residents and the cancellation penalty for over USD 2 million.
- A bank - challenging the results of a tax audit in terms of exclusion from the calculation of deductions and withholding taxes for the amount of USD 1.5 million with interest in favor of a non- resident associated with the bank.
- A service company in the oil and gas industry - challenging the assessment of the corporate income tax at source for more than USD 1 million which was not withheld from the income of non-residents according to the certificate of residence.
- A mobile operator - challenging the results of a tax audit in relation to the calculation of income tax at source on dividends paid by a resident of the Netherlands for the amount of USD 5 million (including penalty of USD 2 million) and the cancellation of penalty for the amount of USD 2.5 million.
- A development company – acting for the client in relation to an appeal procedure against the notice on violations revealed by the results of an in-house audit, which allowed the client not to withhold the tax on the income of an offshore resident from paid dividends amounting to over USD 1 million.
- An investment holding – advising the client on the forced business separation between the shareholders worth of USD 100 million.
- An agricultural holding – advising the client in relation to a director liability for an unauthorized transfer of assets worth of USD 50 million, a return of the property and a compulsory acquisition of equity interest from an unscrupulous partner.
- A construction company - acting for the client in relation to an unlawful seizure of the land worth of USD 10 million by the state.
- A subsoil user with foreign participation - acting for the client in relation to a recovery of a payment of USD 500,000 from the insurer for the insured event which led to the pollution of the environment.
- An environmental company – acting for the client in connection with the debt collection from the state-owned enterprise for the amount exceeding USD 400,000 for services.
- Astana Innovations JSC – advising on the procedure for obtaining a status of a member of the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in the “Astana – New City“ and on its activities as a SEZ member.